Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Day In My Life, by La Paz the Lizard





The day ended like every other, I hunted my crickets. They were slow and easy to catch. A few minutes later the lights turned off.

As I fell asleep, I started growing. I grew until I was two feet long. I flew into the cool night air. It was a cold December night, but not too cold. I turned to look at my cage. I had pushed aside the lid to escape. I was free at last.

Dad was letting Tuffy out. I paddled frantically. Gas Pedal. Whoosh, 60mph, 70, 80, 90. Whoosh. Outside, 100mph, 120, 130, 140, 150, straight up. Great view. I could see the whole block! "Wee Beasties here I come." 300mph. I see it, I see it. Whoosh. Windy. Whoosh. (turn) Whoosh. (turn) Inside! "Hi Mom, hi Dad." La Paz told his parents that he had a new friend, QQ the cat. He also pushed his brothers' cage open and then released the crickets and his Mom and Dad and aunt and uncle and other big cricket eating lizards. He did not release Spot or the other Savanah monitor lizards. Too dangerous. They finish as the sun starts rising. I have to go home. 300mph. I'm there. I take a nap under the rock.

I read the newspaper on the cage floor. "I'm not the only one who knows where I went."

3 comments:

  1. Dear story person, Miss Mia,

    I simply love your story! La Paz certainly lives
    an exciting life! I want to hear more and more of his high speed adventures, and QQ's adventures too. Your watercolor and your photograph were simply wonderful! I am so proud of you and proud of being your grandma
    too. GREAT work!

    Thanks so much for including me
    in your blog. I am a happy camper and a proud
    grandma.

    Much love,
    Oma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoah, La Paz is one speedy reptile. Remind me to stay off your streets! :)

    ReplyDelete